The Directorate is headed by a Secretary and is organized into ten (10) specialized functions offering common shared services. The common shared services of the Ministry of Devolution and ASAL Areas consist of functions that offer critical support services.
The functions include:
Roles of the Accounts Unit is:-
- Undertake overall management of financial resources;
- Prepare financial and accounting reports such as imprest and expenditure returns;
- Collate financial estimates;
- Undertake financial and accounts analysis;
- Extract and provide cash liquidity analysis;
- Receipt all monies due and payable to government;
- Undertake cost and management accounting;
- Prepare and timely submit statutory and management financial reports; and
- Ensure effective Cash Management.
The roles of the finance department are:-
- Advise on all financial policies as well as ensure sound accounting principles and controls are applied to all financial transactions;
- Interpret financial policies on budgeting and accounting methods;
- Prepare expenditure and Authority to Incur Expenditure (AIE) funding returns;
- Provide guidance, control and management of expenditure;
- Coordinate preparation of budgets; and
- Undertake resource bidding for the State Department.
Human Resource Management/ Development
The roles of the Human Resources Management and Development are:-
- Provide strategic direction in the management of an effective, efficient and professional Human Resource (HR);
- Interpret and implement human resource policies, procedures and systems;
- Manage industrial relations;
- Coordinate recruitment, appointment, promotions and remuneration processes;
- Manage staff separations and processing of terminal benefits;
- Budget for personnel emoluments;
- Manage employee relations;
- Coordinate and manage staff welfare;
- Coordinate performance management and incentive systems;
- Manage staff training and development programmes;
- Automate human resources and administration records;
- Update, maintain and safeguard Human resource records;
- Carry out staff sensitization on HIV/AIDS, substance and drug abuse;
- Mainstream gender and disability issues; and
- Promote organization learning and development.
Central Planning and Project Monitoring
The roles of Central Planning and Project Monitoring Unit is to :-
- Coordinate the planning function;
- Coordinate development of Strategic Plans and Annual Work Plans;
- Coordinate project prioritization for Medium Term Expenditure Framework (MTEF);
- Prepare Departmental Public Expenditure Reviews (PERs);
- Track implementation of Programmes/projects and prepare quarterly and annual project analytic reports;
- Prepare and Coordinate signing of Performance Contracts as well as their execution;
- Coordinate preparation of quarterly and annual performance Contract and M & E reports;
- Support preparation of MTEF budget in conjunction with Finance Department;
- Carry out policy analysis and prepare policy briefs on various technical issues; and
- Provide support on operational research to the technical departments.
Supply Chain Management
The roles of Supply Chain Management Unit is to:-
- Guide the interpretation and implementation of the Public Procurement Assets and Disposal Act of 2015 (PPADA, 2015);
- Implement and monitor standard operating procedures to ensure that they are in conformity with the PPADA, 2015;
- Coordinate preparation and execution of Annual Procurement Plan;
- Compile requirements for tendering and quotations;
- Design stores coding systems;
- Prepare contracts for supply of goods and provision of services;
- Prepare board of survey plans and organize meetings for disposal of unserviceable, obsolete and surplus assets;
- Provide secretariat services for evaluation Committees;
- Inspect stores and works;
- Carry out market research and advise on the effect of market forces;
- Prepare periodic reports for submissions to the PPDA; and
- Prepare asset disposal plans and coordinate the actual disposal.
Roles of the Legal Unit is :-
- Manage litigations and advice on procedures and legal requirements on legal matters relating to property management, staff discipline and any other issues that may attract litigation;
- Advise on corporate governance;
- Advise on legal and regulatory matters;
- Coordinate on issuance of legal undertakings;
- Monitor compliance with the legal regulatory framework;
- Participate in design and implementation of local agreements, international documents and contracts;
- Ensure safe custody of collateral, chattels and other organization properties;
- Advise on negotiations on corporate deals;
- Liaise with external lawyers and other legal bodies; and
- Carry out research and prepare detailed legal opinions on matters relating to legal notices, interpret and advice on other related laws.
The roles of Public Communication Unit is to :-
- Develop appropriate public communication strategies;
- Prepare information, education and communication materials (IEC);
- Undertake media liaison and media monitoring;
- Provide interface between the State Department and other stakeholders/stakeholder engagement;
- Initiate and implement corporate public relation programmes;
- Coordinate preparation of official speeches;
- Coordinate and develop communication materials i.e. newsletter;
- Coordinate Crisis communication;
- Undertake advocacy for programmes;
- Enhance online presence (Website management, twitter, face-book and WhatsApp);
- Increase understanding and awareness of the State Department and its activities; and
- Provide support to technical departments on communication matters
The roles of Records management Unit is to:-
- Identify, classify, store, secure, retrieve, track and preserve records;
- Systematically control the creation, receipt, maintenance, use and disposition of records;
- Capture and maintain evidence of transactions in form of records; and
- Manage evidence of activities as well as mitigate against risk.
The roles of the Internal Audit Unit is to :-
- Carry out independent tests and assessment of compliance with policies, procedures and regulations;
- Ensure adequacy of internal controls and adherence to set standards;
- Undertake procedural audit to assure effectiveness of existing internal control systems;
- Audit all payments made to ensure compliance with budgetary provisions, policies and procedures;
- Implement audit plans and programs;
- Prepare audit reports for review by the external auditors;
- Carry out technical audits of projects and programmes to ensure compliance with set standards;
- Audit assets and accounting systems to ascertain efficiency and effectiveness;
- Verify statutory reports;
- Compare records with physical assets;
- Ensure reliability of financial reporting;
- Evaluate costs and benefits; and
- Document and analyze processes and costs.
Information Communication Technology (ICT)
The roles of the ICT department are:-
- Spearheading implementation of policies and strategies on Information Communication Technology.
- Record and verify data on Information Communication Technology facilities for purposes of accountability, inventory control and maintenance as per procedure manuals.
- Prepare routine operations/maintenance and reports on performance of computer hardware and software.
- Convert data to Information Communication Technology system formats.
- Administer servers/internet;
- Study and develop operational procedures and sequences software development.
- Provide technical advice to Information Communication Technology users
- Management of vendors and network security.
- Safeguarding integrity of information and ensure disaster recovery.
- Managing Information Communication Technology training programmes;
- Develop and implement Information Communication Technology standards .
- Designing, administers and maintenance of Information Communication Technology and telecommunication projects.
The role of the Telephone Service function is to provide efficient telephone communication linkages to facilitate transaction of business for efficient and effective service delivery. Specifically, the function involves provision of telephone services to State Department and includes the following:
- Telephone Exchange Operation: This entails operating telephone switchboards; routine testing of PABX equipment and telephone exchange lines; preparation and maintenance of records and other clerical work in the telephone exchanges.
- Telephone Exchange Supervision: This entails supervision of telephone exchanges; organizing and management of staff; maintenance of telephone exchanges and ensuring cost effective utilization of the telephone facilities; liaising with other relevant organizations on procurement and installation of telephone equipment/facilities, and telephone spare parts/accessories; and payment of telephone bills.
- Telephone Service Management : This involves overall management of the Government Telephone Service and is restricted at the Ministry of State for Public Service.
Specifically, the Function entails staffing; monitoring and inspection of telephone exchanges; training and development of telephone personnel; collection and evaluation of telephone traffic and human resource data on the existing telephone facilities; and advising on acquisition, installation and utilization of telephone facilities.
Last Update: November 12, 2021