- Regulation and Development of construction industry through Developing Building Standards and Research
- To formulate and coordinate implementation of policies and legal framework for sustainable housing and urban
- To facilitate access to adequate housing and affordable
- To improve livelihoods of people living and working in slums and informal settlements.
- To develop and coordinate implementation of metropolitan and integrated strategic urban development and capital investment
The State Department is divided into three Departments thus;
- Housing Department
- Urban Development
- Metropolitan Development
- Kenya Building Research Centre
- National Buildings Inspectorate
- National Construction
- National Housing
- BORAQS – Board of Registration of Architects & Quantity
Our obligations and range of Service
Our obligations and range of services to customers and stakeholders include:-
- Policy and legal
- Facilitate development of 300,000 housing
- Government inventory and estate
- Up-scaling slum upgrading and prevention
- Undertake building research services in affordable low-cost housing materials and technologies, innovation and development of appropriate and alternative building materials, methods and emerging
- Up scaling urban development
- Enhancement of safety and security in 13 urban
- Implementation of the spatial planning concept for the Nairobi
- Metropolitan Development
- Efficient procurement, and supply of common user items to Government
- Registration and regulation of Architects, Quantity Surveyors building, Civil and electro-mechanical contractors and materials suppliers.
- Spearhead building standards, innovation and research in the construction industry.
- Audit of buildings to conform to all standards of healthy human habitation.
Our Customers and Stakeh0lderr
Our customers and stakeholders include but are not limited to:
- The Citizens of
- MDAs and other Public
- National Environmental Management
- Development partners and International
- Bank and non-bank financial institutions (Mortgage providers).
- Private Sector Organizations and Professional Bodies (in building industry).
- Non-Governmental Organizations, Civil Society
- Community Based
- Consultants and contractors.
- Shelter Afrique, (Sida)
To the general public, customers and stakeholders we are committed to:-
- Observe professionalism and expediency in service
- Offer high quality service with courtesy; free from corruption or undue demands.
- Ensure that all information is communicated timely and accurate, is reliable and on time.
- Attend to customers’ requirements or issues in a diligent and respectful manner.
- Quality improvement through best management practices.
- Courteously receive criticism, feedback through complaints, suggestions and compliments.
- Respond promptly to enquiries, correspondences and emergencies immediately.
- Have the tribunal court to hear, determine and dispose tenants and landlords disputes within reasonable time of filing.
- Utilize project resources as provided for in the respective agreements and work plans and procure goods and services in a competitive, accountable and transparent manner.
- Observe Government rules and regulations.
- Attend to suppliers’/service providers’ complaints promptly and give feedback within 7 days.
- All staff shall wear badges for ease of identification.
- The State Department will display in their premises service charters with all the requisite details.
Obligations of our Customers
We expect our customers to:-
- Provide accurate and timely information to facilitate timely
- Give our staff necessary cooperation and respect as they serve you and/or report any cases of corruption by
- Refrain from extending undue influence, favours, bribes or unethical inducements to staff.
- Deliver items in the quality, specifications and prices quoted, within three days of order or within period specified in order/contract.
- Observe Government procurement rules and regulations.
Right of our customers and Stakeholder
Our customers and stakeholders are entitled, deserve and have a right to:-
- Quality and prompt
- Accurate and balanced
- Respect and courteous treatment by our
- Request for identity of the officer(s) serving
- Engage in constructive criticism and own opinion.
- Timely payments for goods delivered and services
- Get an official receipts for all
- Access to our offices and officers within the official working
Charges for the services offered
Our services are offered for free except where it is specified in the service charter.
Disposal of unused Person
Disposal of obsolete stores and assets will be done as and when recommendations of the Board of Survey are received
Last Update: November 16, 2021