The Human Resource Management Directorate is headed by a Director General, Job Group ‘U’/CSG 3, responsible to the Principal Secretary, State Department for Public Service for overall coordination of the Human Resource Management function in Ministries/Departments and Agencies (MDAs) in the mainstream Civil Service of the National Government.
The Director-General, Human Resource Management Job Group ‘U’ is the technical head of the State Department for Public Service responsible to the Principal Secretary for provision of professional and technical guidance and advisory to the Ministry leadership on formulation, review and interpretation of policies, regulations and procedures for strategic interventions on human resource matters in the Public Service. The Director-General, Human Resource Management also provide advisory to Heads of HR function in MDAs and coordinate the HR function in the Civil Service.
Specific functions for the Director-General, Human Resource Management include the following: –
- Undertake research and initiate formulation, review, interpretation and implementation of HR policies, Norms and Standards, Systems, Guidelines and Procedures for effective and efficient management of human resource in the Public Service;
- Provide technical support for implementation of Public Service Management components in the Capacity Assessment and Rationalization of the Public Service (CARPS) Programme for the National Government and County Governments;
- (iii) Provide technical assistance and strategic advisories to MDAs to build their capacities and strengthen the HR function for an impactful Public Service Management;
- Coordinate staff distribution and deployment in the Civil Service through transfers/postings of seven (7) of the eight (8) cadres managed by the State Department for Public Service namely; Human Resource Management Officers/Assistants, Psychological Counselling Services Personnel, Office Administrators/Administrative Assistants (Secretarial personnel), Hospitality Personnel, Clerical Personnel, Drivers and Support Staff.
- Initiate development and review of terms and conditions of service for Civil Servants;
- Advising on collective bargaining and negotiation agreements with trade unions;
- Represent the Principal Secretary in the relevant Commissions; Boards, Councils and Committees to provide strategic advisory on human resource related issues;
- Monitor evolving trends and undertake comparative studies regionally and internationally for best practices on Human Resource Management for continual improvement of the Public Service Management;
- Coordinate administration of schemes of service for common cadre schemes managed by the State Department for Public Service;
- Provide linkage with Public Service Commission and Salaries and Remuneration Commission on compensation of Civil Servants;
- Coordinate effective administration and implementation of the Comprehensive Medical Insurance Scheme for Civil Servants and Medical Insurance Scheme for Senior Officers in Job Group ‘U’ and above;
- Coordinate administration of policies and operations for provision of psychological counselling services in the Public Service.
Last Update: November 15, 2021