There is established an Academy to be known as the Kenya Academy of Sports. The Academy shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal and shall, in its corporate name, be capable of suing and being sued; taking, purchasing or otherwise acquiring, holding, charging or disposing of movable and immovable property; and doing or performing all such other things or acts necessary for the proper performance of its functions under this Act, which may lawfully be done by a body corporate. The headquarters of the Academy shall be in Nairobi, but the Academy may establish offices at any other place in Kenya. The Academy shall ensure access to its services in all parts of the Republic in accordance with Article 6(3) of the Constitution.
The Council shall have all the powers necessary for the performance of the functions of the Academy under this Act and in particular, but without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, the Council shall have power to:
- Manage, control and administer the assets of the Academy in such manner and for such purposes as best promote the purposes for which the Academy is established;
- Receive any gifts, grants, donations or endowments made to the Academy or any other monies in respect of the Academy and make disbursements therefrom in accordance with the provisions of this Act;
- Determine the provisions to be made for capital and recurrent expenditure and for reserves of the Academy;
- Open a banking account or banking accounts for the funds of the Academy
- Invest any money of the Academy not immediately required for the purposes of this Act in the manner provided in section 38.
- Establish And Manage Sports Training Academies;
- Promote Research and Development of Talent in Sports, In Collaboration with Institutions of Higher Learning, National Sports Organizations and Other Stakeholders;
- Collect, Collate, Store and Disseminate Tangible and Intangible Historical Sports Material to The Public, Sports Organizations,
- Researchers And Institutions of Learning;
- Organize, Administer and Co-Ordinate Sports Courses for Technical and Sports Administration Personnel;
- Link With Other Institutions and Organizations for Regular Updates on The Current Sports Trends; And Perform Any Other Function That May Directly or Indirectly Contribute to The Attainment of The Foregoing.
- Receive And Analyze Data on Training Requirements from Sports Organizations;
Funds & Assets
- Such Moneys as May Be Appropriated by Parliament for The Purposes of The Academy;
- Money From Any Other Source Received by The Academy in The Performance of Its Functions Under This Act.
- Such Gifts, Grants, Loans or Donations, Made to The Academy with The Approval of The Cabinet Secretary and The Cabinet Secretary Responsible for Finance to The Academy;
- Funds Accruing from Investments Made by The Academy;
- Such Moneys, Revenue or Assets as May Accrue to Or Vest in The Council of The Academy in The Course of The Exercise of Its Powers or The Performance of Its Functions Under This Act or Under Any Other Written Law;
For more information Kenya Academy of Sports
Last Update: November 15, 2021