Sports Kenya (SK) is a state corporation established by the Sports Act, 2013 and given the mandate to carry out functions formally performed by Sports Stadia Management Board and the Department of Sports. The key aim for its formation was to promote co –ordinate and implement national and international sports programmers, establish, manage, develop and maintain the sports facilities including convention centers, indoor sporting and recreational facilities in the country and participate in the promotion of sports tourism among others. Sports Kenya is expected to develop modern sports facilities as well us improve the existing ones.
Sports Kenya manages two of Kenya’s premier Sporting Complexes, which is Moi International Sports Centre, Kasarani and Nyayo National Stadium both in Nairobi City.
To be the preferred provider of sport and recreation facilities, services and opportunities in the region.
To develop, manage, and market quality sport and recreation facilities, services and programmes.
To encourage more stakeholders’ participation in sports and recreation.
- Provide the necessary amenities or facilities for persons using the services or facilities provided by sports Kenya;
- Operate sports facilities on public grounds in such manner as it deems necessary;
- Collaborate with county governments, learning institutions and other stakeholders concerned with sports and recreation, in the search, identification and development of sporting talent, provision of sports equipment, facilities and technical training,
- Identify and recommend talents in sports to national sports organizations;
- Inculcate the sense of patriotism and national pride through sports and recreation, create awareness on matters of national interest through sporting events,
- Create awareness on the benefits of regular participation in sports for healthy living and provide advisory and counseling services to athletes;
- Determine the national colors to be used in national and international competitions, in consultation with the relevant national sports organizations;
- Facilitate the preparation and participation of Kenyan teams in various international events and the hosting of similar events in the country and recommend members of steering committees for international sports competitions, in consultation with the relevant national sports organizations;
- Recommend to the relevant authority’s issuance of work permits and visas to foreign athletes and technical sports personnel, in consultation with the relevant national sports organizations;
- Approve, at the request of the respective national sports organization, the clearance of foreign sports technical personnel before engagement by national sports organizations and other sporting bodies;
- Organize and co-ordinate training, conduct research, maintain a resource center and provide and engage consultancy services for sports development programs, in consultation with the respective national sports organizations;
- With the approval of the cabinet secretary, prescribe charges or fees in respect of —
- Access to, or use of, any of the resources or facilities of sports Kenya;
- The provision of programs, services, information or advice by sports Kenya; and
- The admission of persons to events and activities organized by sports Kenya;
- Recommend, in liaison with the relevant sports organizations, tax exemption for sports persons.
Perform such other functions related to the implementation of the sports act as may be directed by the cabinet secretary.
For more information visit: Sports Kenya
Last Update: November 15, 2021