Directorte of University Education is one of the most rapidly expanding sub-sectors of the Education sector in Kenya. Demand for university education has continued to increase with many students who are unable to be absorbed in Kenyan Universities seeking admission in institutions of higher learning outside the country. The Directorate of University Education in the Ministry of education, State Department of University and Research has taken this challenge in stride. Constituent University colleges and campuses affiliated to universities have been established to expand access to higher education.
Currently we have 31 Chartered public Universities, 6 Constituents Colleges, 18 Chartered private Universities, 6 Private Constituent Colleges and 13 Public/Private Universities with letters of interim Authority. This number is expected to increase with time.
Other efforts in the pipeline for making Kenyan higher education competitive and of high quality standards include:
- Restructuring and strengthening of the Commission for Higher Education (CUE) and Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
- Establishment of an Open University of Kenya.
- Improvement of governance in public universities.
Functions of the Directorate of Higher Education
- Formulation and review of policies on Higher Education in collaboration with Commission for Higher Education (CHE), Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) and other relevant institutions and departments.
- Co-ordination of plans and budgets from public universities in collaboration with CHE and other departments.
- Initiation, promotion and implementation of Cultural, Technical and Scientific cooperation with other countries in liaison with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Administration of scholarships offered by friendly countries.
- Coordination of matters related to local and overseas universities education.
- Disbursement of grants and bursaries to local and overseas university as well as regional and international institutions and organization that are linked to the Ministry of Higher Education, Science and Technology.
- Joint formulation and implementation of policies on East Africa Community, Inter-University
- Council of East Africa (IUCEA) and African Institute for Capacity Development (AICAD).
- Coordination of admission to public universities in liaison with Joint Admission Board (JAB).
- Facilitation of appointments of Education Attaches to Kenya Missions in Paris, Moscow,London, Delhi and Washington
- Coordination of Student Exchange Programmes for university students, and clearance of students proceeding for university education overseas.
- Facilitation of acquisition of travel documents for students wishing to travel outside the country for studies.
The Directorate of Higher Education collaborates with Higher Education Loans Board, Commission for Higher Education and Joint Universities Admissions Board in its delivery of service. The three bodies offer the following:
Higher Education Loans Board Products:
- Loans for undergraduate
- Loans postgraduate ( Masters B PhD) studies
- Bursaries for undergraduate studies
- Scholarships for postgraduate studies
Kenya University Central Placement Services(KUCCPS)
- Admissions to public universities
- Commission for Higher Education
- Quality assurance and standards in higher education
- Higher Education policy formulation and review
- Coordination of plans and budgets from public universities
Last Update: November 12, 2021